30 Jan Muslimah Struggles – Eye Brows on Fleek?
Face beat. Eye brows on fleek. Hair laid. Waist snatched. Help me out sisters, so many cool catchy phrases these days to describe how fly we look(hehe). Lets pick one struggle shall we? EYE BROWS ON FLEEK.
We won’t assume we are all aware of the fact that Muslim women are asked to stay away from shaving the eye brows for beautification, so for clarity we will place the hadith right here but please do your personal research after reading this.
“The hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Allaah has cursed the woman who does tattoos and the one who has them done, the woman who plucks eyebrows (al-naamisah) and the one who has it done (al-mutanammisah), and the one who files her teeth for the purpose of beauty, altering the creation of Allaah.”
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5931; Muslim, 2125)” – Islamqa.info
Now that we have that out of the way, lets talk about how Muslimahs survive in a world where perfectly arched brows rule! For some women, it has never been an issue because they never even attempted to get their brows shaved, while for others its has and still is a struggle. In order to feel better, some Muslimahs and their accomplices have come up with all sort to make people believe they HATE well arched brows and actually undermine ladies who have them. Okay wrong! The fact that we are expected to keep our brows unshaven doesn’t mean shaved brows are ugly. Actually some are really beautiful which is one of the reasons the hadith says we should stay away if it is done for the purpose of beauty. Be sincere, haven’t you seen a lady with a well made-up face and perfectly arched brows that impressed you? Honestly we have, in fact we constantly do. However, this shouldn’t make you feel funny or defensive.
When we see Muslimahs with eyebrows hidden and painted with concealers, hair dye and brow fillers saying all sort of jargon about “shaved brows on fleek” being HARAM and bashing even non-muslims for shaving their brows, saying its looks so ugly bla bla bla #teamnobrowplucking, we scratch our heads and wonder “Why is she so mad though, isn’t she trying to achieve the same look?”. But hey who are we to talk on issues like this right?
Here is our advice to Muslimahs trying sincerely to adhere to the teachings of Islam on brow shaving.
– Be truthful to yourself. Liking shaved brows doesn’t make you a sinner. This doesn’t mean you should condone it, but it also doesn’t mean you should lie to yourself about it and make funny memes to make yourself feel better. That won’t help with your struggle
– Understand why you are giving it up. You are giving it up because you are a servant of Allah and you follow the sunnah of the Prophet Muhammed (SAW). If you have done your research and you find the hadith to be authentic, obeying should be next by the mercy of Allah.
– Use an old toothbrush or an old mascara wand to brush it nicely 🙂 The tiny bristles will catch all the little hairs and put them in place.
– Take good care of your skin. Honestly, when you have great facial skin you would worry less about all the extras.
– Quit making unnecessary memes. Just like with the hijab and how people compare hijabies an non-hijabies to fresh and rotten apples respectively, we think it’s totally wrong and unnecessary. By the way there are modestly dressed women who do not wear the hijab yet and that doesn’t make them rotten apples!
– Be comfortable in your own skin and with the teachings of your religion. When people ask you why your brows are unshaven, speak the truth and thats it. You would be surprised nobody really has time to judge you because of your eye brows, if they do thats absolutely not your problem. Move along.
As believing women, our purpose is to worship Allah and do all things with the aim of pleasing him. Lets not forget that things which please Allah are always beneficial to us in this life and also in the hereafter.
So sisters, if you are yet to turn off the fleek on your brows, now would be a good time to do some personal research on the issue and begin to slowly (or instantly if you are such a super woman) turn it off. We know quite a number of sisters who have stopped shaving their eyebrows and they all say you eventually do not miss it when you let go. Lets try it shall we?
Salam alaikum dearest sisters!
Photo Credit: Google.com